find_list_entry.c and "FNM_LEADING_DIR"?

Glenn L. McGrath bug1 at ihug.co.nz
Sun Apr 16 20:44:20 UTC 2006

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 16:24:15 -0400 (EDT)
"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:

> p.s.  perhaps i should be asking a simpler question -- what are the
> expected semantics of tar's "--exclude" option?  am i expecting too
> much of it?  where is it defined what it *should* do?

There is no independent standard for tar, there is a depreciated USTAR
format standard, but that only covers the one of formats of the tar
file.

GNU tar and S-tar are exampled of what we might try and do, GNU tar is
what we have been aiming for in the itnerface asthats what suers will
be familiar with. S-tar is probably more correct bit-wise.

The info page of GNU tar has a lot more details than the man page, it
should have what your looking for.

Im sure it can be frustrating, its seems like your asking for something
really small, but it also effects other applets. The archiving code
hasnt changed much for a while, so most of the bugs a probably known.

The danger of changing this is that it will introduce another bug
somewhere that somebody will have to fix down the track.

For my part i consider the archiving code to be in maintenace mode, im
not going to be change things on a whim, and dont want to be
responsible for any radical changes other people make.

But if you want to change it and take responsibility for fixing any
breakage then thats fine with me, ill be around to try explain the old
behaviour.

Glenn