simplifying the networking/Config.in WRT "ip"

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 14 20:30:03 UTC 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, Jason Schoon wrote:

> On 4/14/06, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:
> >
> > ok, so a revised patch would contain this:
>
> <snip>
>
> >   better?
> >
> > rday
> >

> Close.  I think the following would do what we want:

>  config CONFIG_IPADDR
>          bool
>          default y
>          depends on CONFIG_FEATURE_IP_SHORT_FORMS && CONFIG_FEATURE_IP_ADDRESS

um ... yeah, that's what i meant. :-)

> I am wondering at this point if it is worth all of the trouble.
> Should we just enable the short forms automatically, and remove all
> of this config menu clutter, for the few bytes that it saves?
> However, given the goal of Busybox to be as potentially small as
> possible, and the fact that I don't use the short versions, I would
> lean toward making the above changes.

that's why i was asking about the semantics -- what *should* the user
interface look like?  it's easy to implement whatever people think the
final design should be.

one last point -- the whole "ifupdown"/ip applet thing looks messy as
hell.  any way to add that to the mix to make it *all* simpler in one
fell swoop?

rday