Small todo items?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Apr 14 02:55:48 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 11:20 am, Rob Sullivan wrote:
> I'm sure there are plenty of smaller todo items that could be done so
> quickly that they're not worth putting on the list - thus my question
> is, what are they?

In my personal todo list? :)

Cut and paste with minimal cleanup.  Most of these are a note reminding me
that there's a problem, not necessarily a proposed solution.  Some may
already have been fixed and not cleaned out yet:

ps ax
losetup -f
umount -l should do lazy umount (move current -l to -L)
programming.html:
  Building a "hello world" initramfs system.
    initramfs /init
    mdev
    shared libraries.
    pivot_root.
Extra -libm dependency (for uClibc 0.9.28 and earlier).
The following config entries that don't start with CONFIG:
  BB_APPLET_RUNLEVEL
  FDISK_SUPPORT_LARGE_DISKS
  CROSS_COMPILER_PREFIX
  EXTRA_CFLAGS_OPTIONS
  HAVE_DOT_CONFIG
  PREFIX
  USING_CROSS_COMPILER
make miniconfig

Busybox stuff:
  which -a  (and alias support?)
  redo top.c
  Document usage of everything.  Actually try to set it up.
    telnetd.
    udpcpc
    udhcpd
    mdev
    init
    busybox.conf
  udhcpc : shouldn't need script, way too noisy.
  Bugcheck (as non-root user):
    mkdir dir
    touch dir/file
    chmod 111 dir
    rm -rf dir
  cleanup vfork into fork_exec(FKEX_DAEMON|FKEX_PATH, command, ...);
    obsolete vfork_daemon_rexec.c
  compartment?
  update license.txt
  design.txt
    CONFIG_ vs ENABLE_
  Sparse file awareness (config option) affecting cp, tar.
  Look at getline() instead of get_chomped_...
  Use Matt Mackall's bloat-o-meter (File attach to my nov 16 posting.)
  Makefile tweak:
    -lm
    -lcrypt
  Fix sort:
    sort --help isn't remotely complete.
    SORT_BIG needs libm.
  Go through busybox bug list.  Close out for 1.1.
    Triage: Find the "should fix" subset.
  Behold the suckage:
    inetd.c
    fdisk.c
    Look at all of vodz's "ports" and do proper busybox versions.
  Maintainer: annotations in source files.
  ipkg
    http://www.uk-dave.com/tutorials/zaurus/ipkg.php
  tar
    #fix t
    #fix x
    fix C - it's uClibc, fix that.
    testsuite
  ftpget SIZE removal
    http://www.busybox.net/lists/busybox/2005-September/016311.html
  ifenslave
  mdev
    username:group (string, not just uid:gid)
    add shellout
  Do first revision of bbsh.c.
    Finish reading lash.c
    Suck parsing code out of modutils.c -- Clean up the config mess!
  Unify terminal handling:
    Telnet/netcat.  Telnetd?
    Init
    getty/login
    bbsh
  IPV6:
    Unify this somehow?
  State of the Busybox address.
  less got horked?
  mount
    Bump bb_path_mtab_file to bigger config entry, add support in mkfs.ext3.
    # error message is terrible under FWL.
    # Pass -o flags on to filesystem (tmpfs?) even when using flags from
fstab.
    mount -o remount,rw one - use mtab, not fstab    mount -o loop_crypto
    do a CONFIG_WITHOUT_PROC and make mtab bind to that.
    mount --rbind
    # umount /path/to/file -- autodetect loop.
    umount -a in a world with multiple namespaces? -- confirm
      umount -a blockdev
      umount -a dir : all subdirectories.
    Better docs
      no --loop, loop_offset, rbind, all -o options, -a blockdev/dir
  losetup
    -d should give error when loop device already unbound.
  Test switch_root.c
  sed
    should use bb_process_escape_sequence()
      Generally fix process_escape_sequence().
      Check \? to make sure it doesn't become \\
      Why doesn't this work: [^\"'\n]
        not backslash double quote single quote newline
    Handle nul bytes in input with no ending newline.
  Annotations in applets.h for SUSV3 and NOFORK.
  Clean up all the crap Vlad left in the tree
  Thump testsuite.
    Pidof.
    Finish sed.tests - mark AUDIT
    Finish sort.tests - mark AUDIT
    What's broken about sort?  (Two test cases)
    What's broken about sed?  (Three test cases)
    8-bit clean checking for all apps.
  mount -o loop_offset=12345
  tar -nosame patch
  df should keep track of already seen major/minor (for --bind and such).
  busybox standalone shell in 1.01 not finding any built-in commands or $PATH?
  Why are some busybox apps bigger using ENABLE_?
    tar
    df
  grep
    -r
    -o
  find
    -0 and -print0 (xargs too)
  make standalone
  new test harness
    Complete coverage
  archive.patch (general archive cleanup).
  PCMCIA:
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/pcmcia/howto.html
  merge rpm update patch.

Fun with qemu
  # Build under Red Hat 9
  Test on other hardware platforms.
    ppc, arm, mips, x86-64
  Test bootable image (without endless reboots).

> So, any suggestions? So far, I've got a few:
> - xargs -i
> - clean up fuser
> - text buffer handling (this is in the main todo list)

Go for it. :)