which networking protocols to remove?

Jason Schoon floydpink at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 20:47:27 UTC 2006

On 4/10/06, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:

>   i just had an offline request not to remove the HWSIT protocol
> which, in interface.c, is identified as IPv6-in-IPv4.  however, if you
> look closely, there is no menu configuration to select this and, based
> on earlier postings here, i thought there was consensus that, if
> there's no way to select something from the config menu, it has no
> current value.  only menu configuration counts, not hard-coded macros
> that you have to change with an editor.  wasn't that the idea?
>
>   comments?
>
> rday

I would still stand by that consensus.  If there are protocol/interface
types that we care about supporting, then we should support them correctly
with a configuration option.  Otherwise, it is dead code.  The fact that
busybox is all rolled into one with a nice menu configuration system makes
it silly in my mind to ever need to go out of your way to turn on other
defines.