svn 14760 (new diff applet)

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Apr 10 19:01:56 UTC 2006

On Monday 10 April 2006 1:29 pm, Rich Felker wrote:
> > This is what I'm trying to clarify.  It's downright _silly_ to use the
> > short boilerplate for GPL, and yet have the full BSD notice there.  And
> > if the GPL notice plus full GPL text doesn't cover the requirements of
> > the BSD notice (warantee disclaimer and copyright notice from author),
> > then _THE LICENSE IS NOT COMPATIBLE_.
>
> This is nonsense. GPL also allows a warranty disclaimer and of course
> having the author's copyright is allowed (and desired). Don't start
> thinking you're so special that you discovered a new incompatibility
> between the GPL and BSD that none of the countless people who have
> read and studied them in detail were able to find over the past 15+
> years...

I don't think I have either.  What I think I can do is move the appropriate
copyright notice to the top of the file and remove the rest of the BSD
boilerplate (as redundant) from the GPL file in BusyBox.  I'm trying to see
what other people think about this.

There are a number of files in the tree where people were apparently afraid to
remove the mattress tag, and thus put the GPL at the start of the file and
the BSD terms at the end of the file to let the code in between insulate them
from each other or something.

find . | grep -v svn | xargs grep "REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS"
./networking/wget.c: * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND
CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
./networking/inetd.c: * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND
CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
./networking/ping6.c: * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND
CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
./sysklogd/logger.c: * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND
CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
./shell/ash.c: * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS
``AS IS'' AND
./coreutils/od.c: * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS
``AS IS'' AND
./coreutils/env.c: * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS
``AS IS'' AND
./coreutils/cal.c: * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS
``AS IS'' AND
./libbb/dump.c: * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS
``AS IS'' AND
./libbb/bb_echo.c: * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS
``AS IS'' AND
./miscutils/strings.c: * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND
CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
./util-linux/fdisk.c: * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND
CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
./util-linux/hexdump.c: * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND
CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND

Unless the busybox versions of these files are, in fact, dual licensed in
their entirety, this notice is inaccurate, misleading, and presumably
unnecessary.

Separately, I would like to remove this excess verbiage for the same reason I
wanted to use a one-line GPL boilerplate.