cat -v?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Apr 10 18:42:53 UTC 2006

On Monday 10 April 2006 12:26 pm, Rogelio Serrano wrote:
> Should we support cat -v? or is it better to add a "vis" applet?

My ubuntu doesn't seem to have a "vis" in the path.  Is there a standard for
this?

Apparently, our cat is currently up to susv3:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/cat.html

This -v is a gnu extension.  I'm reluctant to add options to cat, but I'm also
reluctant to make up new commands for standard behavior.  Coin flip.

Either way, it should be a CONFIG option.