About passwd, deluser and delgroup

Tito farmatito at tiscali.it
Sat Apr 8 21:03:53 UTC 2006

On Saturday 8 April 2006 22:00, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Saturday 08 April 2006 2:33 am, Tito wrote:

snip

> Ok, I've already changed all this in my version to have no relation to the
> code you're showing me now.  Just FYI...

?!? I don't understand this sentence..... ?!?
Why there should be no relation, maybe you think i'll sue you
for copyright infringement???

;-P

> The locking is _entirely_ unnecessary if all updates are done via the
> "hardlink to create backup, create new version O_EXCL with known name, mv new
> name to original name" method.  It's 100% bloat.

OK, fine.
I'm only suggesting to create a libbb function as this code could be shared
between at least passwd, deluser, delgroup (and probably also adduser, addgroup
as they also scribble in /etc/*passwd files).

> What other programs are
> going to be modifying /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow?

Multiple concurrent instances of passwd, deluser, and adduser for example.

 Ciao,
Tito