[RFC] shared busybox as library drop-in replacement

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Apr 8 20:43:40 UTC 2006

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 03:17:41PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> Translation of my question:
>
> If someone wants to use a shared library and the shared library is not PIC
> code, then I'm under the impression each user of the shared library gets the
> fixups done independently and thus all executable pages they actually use are
> dirtied for each application, which defeats the purpose of a shared library.
> Thus for shared libraries to make sense, they're supposed to be PIC code.  Is
> this correct?

To make sense from a memory-saving standpoint, shared libraries should
be PIC. To make sense from a disk-saving standpoint where memory is
huge and disk is small, non-PIC might make sense (and give slightly
better performance after initial load penalties for relocations).

> likely to be running at once?  How would one measure this?

Using statm..?

> > Yes, look at /proc/$pid/statm. The last number is all that counts:
> > number of dirty pages.
>
> I know that.  And in theory, all application profiling could be done using the
> "time" command.  This is not a test harness that gives me useful comparison
> between different approaches with any sort of granularity.

I'm confused about what additional granularity you want.. Sorry.

Rich