svn 14760 (new diff applet)

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Apr 8 02:40:18 UTC 2006

On Friday 07 April 2006 4:13 am, Rob Sullivan wrote:
> > Anybody want to opine on this?  I'm cc'ing the original author: can we
> > just GPL this and drop the BSD boilerplate?  (Obviously, your name goes
> > in the copyright holder's list in the boilerplate at the top...)
> >
> > Rob
>
> I must admit, I was a little unsure myself when adding the licence to
> the code. As long as Todd C. Miller is mentioned as one of the
> copyright holders, I guess just having the short GPL boilerplate would
> suffice, as it supersedes the BSD licence AFAIK.

That's the commonly accepted interpretation, yes.  If that _is_ the case,
including the BSD license text in a derived version is unnecessary.  If it's
not the case, I consider that a license conflict.

We do have an intention of enforcing the GPL on busybox.  Anything that makes
it harder for us to do so is a bad thing.

> The OpenBSD people don't seem to mind other people taking their code
> and using it under the GPL, in any case...

It seems polite to ask.