Busybox hangs at init....

yan seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon Apr 3 22:27:07 UTC 2006

I've got a somewhat general help Q....

I am running BusyBox v1.1.1-pre0.

I can successfully run it when compiled with a cross-tool chain that
uses the hardware FPE, but I am trying to recompile everything for
soft-float...  Now this should have nothing to do with Busybox, except....

I've compiled the new toolchain, and everything seems OK.  The toolchain
passes all of the tests.  I can compile the kernel, busybox, etc.

I've built the new rootfs, installed of my necessary libs and binaries,
and I am trying to boot buysbox.

The kernel is loaded and boots, then starts up init.

Unfortunately at that point the system stops:

VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem).
Mounted devfs on /dev
Freeing init memory: 80K
init started:  BusyBox v1.1.1-pre0 (2006.03.23-17:44+0000) multi-call binary

I can ping the system, so the kernel is still running, but the system is
otherwise unresponsive...

The busybox init process just hangs.

I know it has to be something with the toolchain or perhaps a permission
or config issue on the new rootfs, but how do I test that?  Is there any
way to enable very verbose init so I can figure out where it is hanging?

Thanks,

--Yan