Releasing 1.02 and 1.1-pre1.

David Seikel won_fang at yahoo.com.au
Tue Sep 27 19:35:34 UTC 2005

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 14:04:04 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 27 September 2005 03:53, David Seikel wrote:
> > I have never received any feedback on urunlevel
> > <http://urunlevel.sourceforge.net/>.  How about someone give me a
> > quick yea or nay on whether to include it as an official part of
> > busybox, or leave it is a separate patch like it is now?
> >
> > To be quickly followed up by "it sucks and it's too big" in a
> > separate message.
>
> While I want to improve init (and give it a config option to
> understand  runlevels), a project to implement init scripts in C seems
> to me to defeat  the purpose of init scripts.

I thought the purpose of init scripts was to init the system?

Any debate about what language best serves that purpose is best left to
language bigots.  I write code in way too many languages to get away
with being a language bigot.  I wrote my init scripts in C because they
are busybox applets, and busybox is written in C.  Well, that and it
boots much faster in C. B-)

urunlevel supports init scripts written in any language.  I test it
against all the sh init scripts that come with SuSE, as well as my own C
init "scripts".

My guess is that you mean that the purpose of init scripts is to have
something written in some version of sh so that system admins can change
it.  It seems to be the usual argument against writing them in other
languages.  You could extend that argument to every executable in a unix
system with very little effort.  How much of busybox should we translate
into sh to make the sys admins job easier?

Most of the actual init scripts I have seen are just thin sh wrappers
around startproc and friends.  Not a lot in them that is worth changing.

When it comes down to it though, I wrote urunlevel because I have seen
modern day linuxs become as slow and bloated as Windows, and I don't
like it.  My Athlon 3000+ boots the latest version of SuSE Linux in 3
minutes, but boots My Linux (based on urunlevel) in 12 seconds.  One of
my methods used to speed that up is to remove all but the most
trivial of sh scripts from the boot process.

I take it your response was a quick nay then?

--
Stuff I have no control over could be added after this line.