Default ash prompt is horked.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Sep 23 18:42:23 UTC 2005

On Friday 23 September 2005 12:38, Paul Fox wrote:
>  > In current svn:
>  >
>  > make allyesconfig
>  > make
>  > PATH= ./busybox ash
>  >
>  > Is the prompt badly screwed up for anyone else?
>
> nope.  but what's your PS1 set to?

Changing PS1 had no discernable effect, but then I tried it _after_ starting
up the shell, so perhaps it snapshots the value once on boot?

> (wow -- did you know that if you unset PS1 you really get no
> prompt at all?  kind of surreal.  :-)  (i expected a default.)

The code seems to try to set a default at line 1520, and again (a _different_
one) at lines 1661 and 1664.

Is it just me, or does ash contain a lot duplicate code working at cross
purposes and winding up with a result of "neither"?  (The fact that file
starts with the GPL and _ends_ with the BSD license is just one more fun
example of this.)

Rob

(P.S. This is why I just reported the bug and retreated to my corner...)