svn commit: trunk/busybox: coreutils coreutils/libcoreutils include etc...

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Sep 10 03:58:39 UTC 2005

On Thursday 08 September 2005 23:19, Manuel Novoa III wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> > But moving the assignments from the end of the loop to the beginning did
> > indeed make the warnings go away.  Yeah, in part it's because our
> > compiler is stupid, but once you get up to a dozen or so warnings real
> > bugs start getting lost in the shuffle.  Easiest to just not to have
> > any...
>
> Not a big deal.  I just like to maintain my own code, since I do use it.

I changed the variable names (and whitespace) as a separate checkin.  The
variable names weren't english and didn't describe what the variables were
used for.  They might as well have been register names.

> I'm flying out Friday morning to Houston for a wedding and to see my
> grandparents.  Their house in New Orleans is flooded and they're
> currently staying with my cousin's in-laws.

My aunt barbara and grandmother on that side got flooded out of Louisiana as
well.  (Portland, I think.)  Barbara's currently in dallas (where her company
moved its offices).  Her husband was back to their house today, and although
it has significant water damage it wasn't looted and its electricity has been
restored, so it's not a total loss.  Not sure whether or not they're moving
back or trying to sell it.

My grandmother's moving to Oregon.

> I can certainly get that warning removed some time early next week
> though.

If you want to reorganize the code without reintroducing the warning, by all
means.  I thought you'd wandered over to uClibc land more or less
exclusively.  If I'd known you were still active, I'd certainly have bounced
the patch off of you.

I do, however, think that the knee-jerk reversion of all changes
(reintroducing the warning, making the code bigger on intel, putting back in
the GPL boiler plate that after discussion on the list we've decided to
remove in all the busybox apps, and turning "oldline, oldskipped, line, and
skipped" back into the obviously much more intelligible "so, eo, s1, e1")...

Can you honestly say this checkin is an improvement, or just marking
territory?  (If the latter, please put a big warning at the top of the file
that nobody else is ever to check any changes into this file.)