What is syscalls.c for?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Sep 7 01:40:02 UTC 2005

Ok, I just looked at syscalls.c and module_syscalls.c.  There was a comment
that "very old libc versions don't include these calls".  We no longer
support libc5, correct?  Is compiling on alpha under 2.1 kernel still
something we care deeply about in a busybox-1.0 and up world?

Just for kicks, I moved both of those files out of the directory and snipped
them out of libbb/Makefile.in, then did a make allyesconfig, make clean,
make.  It built without complaint, and seems to work just fine.

So my question is: under exactly what circumstances (if any) are these files
still needed?  If any of it it _is_ still relevant, we need better
documentation, and to prioritize the "compiler.h" consolidation I was talking
about earlier for support of broken build environments...