[patch] proposed change to busybox option parsing.

Aurelien Jacobs aurel at gnuage.org
Tue Sep 6 11:34:22 UTC 2005

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:20:55 -0500
Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> On Monday 05 September 2005 12:03, Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
> > > This is a separate issue.
> >
> > Not completely... because you can't do such a thing anymore :
> >   textutils --install -s
>
> Could you ever?
>
> If the applet supported textutils then it would run textutils when you
> invoked  it under the name textutils.  Control wouldn't get to
> busybox_main() unless  you invoked it under the name "busybox" or the
> name of an applet it didn't  have.

Sure ! But textutils is NOT an applet. textutils and fileutils are simply
some busybox builds which contain only some applets related to text
processing or file manipulation. At least that's what I understood from
Johan's message.
So if you want to do such a busybox build containing only a few text
applets with "--install -s" support, you are not free to name it
textutils anymore. You have to name it busybox-textutils or something
like that.

> > You would have to replace it with something like :
> >   ln -s /bin/textutils /tmp/busybox-textutils
> >   /tmp/busybox-textutils --install -s
> >   rm -f /tmp/busybox-textutils
>
> *boggle*
>
> What exactly are you trying to do?

Simply to show that there are some real world busybox usage which won't
be allowed anymore. That's not my usage, that was an example given by
Johan.

I don't mean that new version is bad. Just that it's not perfect.
But it's drawback is certainly more acceptable than a size increase.

Aurel