[patch] build shared libraries

Bernhard Fischer rep.nop at aon.at
Tue Sep 6 12:28:58 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 06:49:37PM +0800, Allan Clark wrote:

>>>If you and he could coordinate on this, that would be seriously cool. :)
>>>

>>I can have a look at it. Allan, if you like, please send me that patch
>>so we can work on that together.
>>
>I made a START to a patch, I wanted some feedback (works/fails,
>good/bad) but I didn't see any yet from Rob.

thanks.
Why do both of you feel the need for a helper standalone.c?

I'd simply say something to the effect of (untested):
APPLET=$(shell echo $(@F) | sed -e "s \.[^\.]*$  ")
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -DAPPLET="\"$(APPLET)\"" -Dbb_applet_name="\"$(APPLET)\"" \
-o $(APPLET) -Wl,-e,$(APPLET)_main $($(APPLET)-obj) $($(APPLET)-libs))

i.e. let's define bb_applet_name and $(APPLET)_full_usage and just set
the entry point to $(applet)_main instead of the default.

Would that be acceptable for everyone?

PS:
We need a clean list of $(BB_CONFIG_$(APPLET))-obj = whereever/whatever.o
and a list of objects -- be they system-libs, e.g. -lm -- or internal --
libbb -- or multi-obj applets. Without it, i don't think we can cleanly
support the standalone idea. ymmv.