[patch] build shared libraries

Bernhard Fischer rep.nop at aon.at
Tue Sep 6 09:40:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 02:52:49PM +0200, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
>On Mon, 5 Sep 2005, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
>
>[snip]
>> Note that all of them are not stripped and not built with PIC (which
>> iirc adds a bit to the size).
>
>would be interested in `readelf -d lib*.so | grep TEXTREL`

with PIC and gcc-20050822 it turns up nothing, fwiw.

Looks like there is something wrong with binutils-2.16.1-2, btw:

on a fresh checkout (no patches whatsoever, obviously), i do:
$ make allyesconfig
$ make
$ nm coreutils/tr.o | grep -i tr_main
000000ac T tr_main
$ nm coreutils/coreutils.a | grep -i tr_main
000000ac T tr_main
$ ./busybox tr
tr: applet not found

because the final link step doesn't add tr:
..coreutils/coreutils.a)test.o
..coreutils/coreutils.a)touch.o
..coreutils/coreutils.a)true.o

I'm curious if someone can reproduce this?