httpd: uri length

Dirk Clemens develop at cle-mens.de
Sun Sep 4 11:40:48 UTC 2005

RFC 2616, 3.2.1 General Syntax
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec3.html#sec3.2.1

The HTTP protocol does not place any a priori limit on the length of
a URI. Servers MUST be able to handle the URI of any resource they
serve, and SHOULD be able to handle URIs of unbounded length if they
provide GET-based forms that could generate such URIs. A server
SHOULD return 414 (Request-URI Too Long) status if a URI is longer
than the server can handle (see section 10.4.15).

****

Should we set an maximum allowed URI length?

If the answer is no, than alloca() is unusable
for handling the URI.

Good designed formulars uses the post method to send the data.
So I think that 2K is more than enough space for the URI.

BTW: Are there any alloca() (hard or wanted) limits in
the busybox-project?

Dirk