Who has "/var/lib/hwclock/adjtime"?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Sep 1 23:01:09 UTC 2005

On Thursday 01 September 2005 07:52, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Rob Landley wrote:
> > So hwclock.c is looking for adjtime in a very strange place.  I thought
> > it was supposed to be /etc/adjtime (which can be a symlink if /etc isn't
> > writeable. All sorts of stuff gets mad if /etc is read only, starting
> > with "passwd"...)
> >
> > Is there a reason for this?
>
> FHS-2.3 is the reason.
>
> Peter

FHS 2.3 says it's optional, and notes that in FHS 2.1 it was in /etc.  It is
quite possible to put a symlink in /etc to some other location when /etc
isn't writeable.  And there are many things in /etc (like passwd) that get
updated.

I don't currently have a system that actually follows what FHS 2.3 says.  They
all have it in /etc.  And burying it three directories deep seems really
really stupid to me.  (/var/lib?  Since when is hwclock a library?)