Bug in busybox base applet?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Sep 1 07:41:24 UTC 2005

On Thursday 01 September 2005 00:34, Denis Vlasenko wrote:

> > Dangerous, I don't know about, but it's wrong.
>
> Imagine you accidentally have symlink:
> ls -> busybox_compiled_without_ls_applet
> and you decided to look at a dir named 'rm'
> and at your root dir, reversing the sort order:
>
> ls rm -r /
>
> I bet you wouldn't like the result.

I fixed it several hours ago, and mentioned exactly that issue in the checkin
comment (svn 11301).

I'm not too worried about hitting this accidentally because the chain of
coincidence required is astronomical.  However, the possibility of it opening
up holes in scripts is another matter.

But mostly, it's just plain the wrong behavior.  The "busybox" applet
multiplexes.  It's really not that special, it has its own help text, its own
unique command line option (--install), and its own behavior (the
multiplexing based on argv[1]).