i386 optimized glibc

Rushi Lala rushi.lala at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 14:35:44 UTC 2005

I have happily compiled and booted Pentium class PISA board with statically
compiled busybox with 2.6.9 Kernel - gcc 3.3.5 - glibc 2.3.4 which is
configured for i686-suse-linux (installs as slandered with 9.3 SUSE).

When i try same disk/file system with appropriate kernel on STPC atlas 486
based CPU it get stuck at "Freeing unused kernel memory 188K" but Same disk
with same kernel boots perfectly well with Pentium class machine.

i believe that as busybox/init is compiled with i686 optimised glibc and gcc
which uses cmov instruction which is not present in 486 cpu i am trying to
boot.

so i would like to compile my busbox/init with i386/i486 optimised glibc and
gcc. Its seem exactly like compiling busybox with cross compiler. but i
don't know how can i have tool-chain for i386 on i686 machine to compile
busybox/init on it. Is there any other way to resolve this problem.

Any ideas - any one ?

Rushi