Unicode support in shell

Rob Sullivan cogito.ergo.cogito at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 20:31:18 UTC 2005

>Running dumpkeys in an xterm says it couldn't find the console.  Apparently,
>this stuff only works in vga text console mode, which I'm under the
>impression there's a drive to remove from the kernel...
>
>Does it work for a serial console?  (I haven't got one...)
>
>My general response to 3 or 4 different internationalization APIs is to ignore
>them all until there's only one left.  (This seems to have happened with
>unicode, which is why I'm starting to pay attention there...)

dumpkeys on an xterm gives me:

keymaps 0-2,4-6,8-9,12
keycode   1 = Escape
        alt     keycode   1 = Meta_Escape
        shift   alt     keycode   1 = Meta_Escape
        control alt     keycode   1 = Meta_Escape
keycode   2 = one              exclam
        alt     keycode   2 = Meta_one
        shift   alt     keycode   2 = Meta_exclam
keycode   3 = two              quotedbl         at               nul
        alt     keycode   3 = Meta_two

and the rest of my keymap settings. With regard to various competing
standards, I've never seen dumpkmap and loadkmap referred to anywhere
(the Linux Console and Keyboard HOWTO uses dumpkeys and loadkeys, for
instance), my Ubuntu system doesn't even have them installed, and
they're not included in any Debian package...