Unicode support in shell

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Oct 22 17:41:14 UTC 2005

On Friday 21 October 2005 02:38, ahmad hassan wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using busybox to make a mini linux distribution and i am using ash
> shell. Now i want to see files having CJK(Chinese, Japanese and Korean)
> content in them. I am using the ash shell.
> Anybody can tell me how to achieve that. I am making an ncurses based
> application on the console.
>
> Should i add support for unicode at kernel level, console level or ncurses
> level and how.

In theory it could also go at the C library level. :)

Busybox doesn't currently have any special support for unicode, but I don't
think we need it for this.  What program is displaying your text?  (Is it a
kernel text-mode tty, or an Xterm, or...?)  That's what I'd focus on first,
getting some kind of "hello world" string to print out in the appropriate
character set.