Busybox Shell Exiting

sajith pvsastro at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 07:54:53 UTC 2005

Hello Rob,

Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote on 10/17/2005 10:42:45 AM:
> On Sunday 16 October 2005 22:15, sajith.pv at tcs.com wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > Well, start by feeding it a "hello world" program and see if it
> > > prints out its
> > > message.
> > >
> > > Also try init=/bin/sh and see if that works or panics.
> >
> > I tried the hello world program, by passing "init=" option to the kernel
> > (2.6.10). It works fine!
>
> Ok, so the basic system checks out and is able to run programs.
>
> > I tried "init=/bin/sh" and am getting the shell prompt..But now none
> > of the commands are working on the shell.
>
> Is your $PATH?  Getting the the shell prompt is a good sign, anyway.
>
> > I do 'ls' and get the message "Illegal Instruction."
>
> Ok, that's funky.
>
> Sounds like your cross-compiler isn't targeted to quite the right CPU variant.
>
> > The same behaviour for any of the shell commands except the command "help"
> > and all other commands  listed in it:
>
> Those are the builtins, I'd guess.
>
> It sounds like the shell is having trouble executing other commands. Is your
> shell statically or dynamically linked?  What's your library path?
>
> > / # help
> >
> > Built-in commands:
> > -------------------
> >         . : alias bg break cd chdir continue eval exec exit export false
> >         fg hash help jobs kill let local pwd read readonly return set
> >         shift times trap true type ulimit umask unalias unset wait
> >
> > And this very problem is given as an example of bug reporting in the
> > busybox readme file!!!!
> > I tried with BusyBox v1.00-rc3. Same results. What configuration am I
> > missing!!!
>
> It actually sounds like either your cross-compiler is screwed up, or your
> libraries.

Actually my CFLAGS were not correct. I added -mcpu=arm926ejs to the extra options
in busybox and now everything's fine.

> Are your hello world program and your shell statically or
> dynamically linked?
> Can you run the hello world program from the shell?
>
> Possibly you're using some funky embedded system that can't handle fork, in
> which case you need to use vfork instead.  Busybox should autodetect this.
>
> > Regards,
> > Sajith
>
> Rob
>
> > Notice: The information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments
> > to it may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you are not
> > the intended recipient, any dissemination, use, review, distribution,
> > printing or copying of the information contained in this e-mail message
> > and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited.   If you have received
> > this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone
> > and immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.
> > Thank you
>
> Darn it, I thought I'd added messages with this kind of idiotic
> boilerplate to
> my spam filter.  I refuse to be bound by some incredibly lame EULA on
> incoming EMAIL.  Off to fix that.
>
> I won't see another of your messages because my spam filter's going to eat
> anything with that boilerplate.  I hope your find a solution to yourproblem.
> Check the busybox FAQ's "how to build a system with busybox" for more
> references...
>
> Rob

I'm really sorry about the annoying boiler plate. The company's mail server
adds it along I guess. So I'm posting from my yahoo id, although unfortunately the
thread is broken!!!
Thanks a lot for the help.
Regards,
Sajith