how to configure network and let httpd server start

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Oct 17 06:26:35 UTC 2005

On Sunday 16 October 2005 23:55, 王 志宣 wrote:
> I make a  boot cd  with busybox , but it has not  the network functionality
> . So i would like to  add  networking  functionality to  it .
> But i don't know  the way i  implement is right.

Did you get networking working under a previously existing LInux system?

The FAQ suggests a few places to learn general system construction from...

> First i make bzImage (added networking card driver , and TCP/IP)
> i use the bzImage to produce new boot cd (it can run properly!)

You build a kernel.  Cool.

> I use instructions "ifconfig eth0 " and "ifconfig lo" ,
> and it can reveal information about eth0  and lo
> (does it present that the network card be known by kernel ??)

Does this sound familiar:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.123/24 && route add default gw 192.168.1.1

> and at the mean time "ping 127.0.0.1" , it also  receive my signaling
> message. But i cannot use network .

There's not a lot of networking you can do through the loopback device, no.

> Could anyone tell me how to add network functionality?? What's wrong??

Not really a busybox question.  Have you ever gotten networking functionality
to work "from scratch"?

Try booting a normal Linux system with init=/bin/sh (which will prevent init
from running, and thus the standard init scripts from running) and then get
networking functionality working from the command line.  Reading through the
existing system's init scripts would probably help.

On the Linux From Scratch front, I find the "bsd style init scripts" hint
particularly useful.  The system V stuff is unnecessarily complicated.

> and  how to  let httpd server can be run in the boot cd ??

A) get networking working first.

B) start it from init, or from an init script.

> I hope that while i connect to the server , Let httpd can reveal a web
> page.

Did you ever get this working in any other environment?

Again, not really a busybox question...