BSS size

Glenn L. McGrath bug1 at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 12 21:45:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:51:40 -0500
Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 October 2005 11:58, Vladimir N. Oleynik wrote:
> > Hi, all
> >
> > allyesconfig make busybox with 1.2 BSS size.
> > Only 2 applet use 95% this size:
> >
> > 138336  ./archival/dpkg.o
> > 792640  ./archival/libunarchive/decompress_uncompress.o
> >
> > Its right?

> As for dpkg, I don't use it, and I don't think Glenn is interested in
> maintaining it any longer.

dpkg uses static allocation for some hash tables which store metadata,
to be really memory efficient these tables need to be tuned relative
the size of the Packages file, which has probably increased 50% since i
i last touched dpkg.

I cant see any reason why they cant be dynamically allocated.

I think almost everyone uses ipkg when embedded packaging is needed.

Glenn