Put a getty on the serial port

Dmytro Bablinyuk dmytro.bablinyuk at rftechnology.com.au
Wed Oct 12 01:39:23 UTC 2005

> # Put a getty on the serial port
> #ttyS0::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 115200 vt100
> ttyCPM::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyCPM 115200 vt100
I got console working
::wait:/sbin/getty -n -l /bin/sh 115200 /dev/console vt100
But since I have '/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off'
I would like to move to a terminal

I have these devices
/ # ls /dev/
console    hda3       hdb14      loop1      ptmx       ram0       tty5
      ttyp2
fb0        hda4       hdb2       mem        pts        ram1       tty6
      ttyp3
fb1        hda5       hdb3       mtd0       ptyp0      ram2       tty7
      ttyp4
fb2        hda6       hdb4       mtd1       ptyp1      ram3       ttyP0
      ttyp5
fb3        hda7       hdb5       mtd2       ptyp2      random     ttyP1
      ttyp6
hda        hda8       hdb6       mtd3       ptyp3      rtc        ttyP2
      ttyp7
hda1       hda9       hdb7       mtdblock0  ptyp4      shm        ttyP3
      ttyp8
hda10      hdb        hdb8       mtdblock1  ptyp5      tty        ttyS0
      ttyp9
hda11      hdb1       hdb9       mtdblock2  ptyp6      tty0       ttyS1
      urandom
hda12      hdb10      input      mtdblock3  ptyp7      tty1       ttyS2
      zero
hda13      hdb11      kmem       net        ptyp8      tty2       ttyS3
hda14      hdb12      log        null       ptyp9      tty3       ttyp0
hda2       hdb13      loop0      psaux      ram        tty4       ttyp1

I tried ttyS0, tty0 but console is not working on any of these. So far
it works only with 'console' device.
Can anybody please suggest what device shall I use or at least try?

Thank you