bareconfig doesn't work right.

Bernhard Fischer rep.nop at aon.at
Sat Oct 8 13:38:21 UTC 2005

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 01:18:33PM +0200, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
>On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 11:50:30PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
>>The new "bareconfig" (which should probably be "allbareconfig") doesn't
>>actually enable all applets minus subfeatures.  Go into make menuconfig
>>afterwards and look at the results...
>
>Yes, i forgot that the "is not set" strings are needed to avoid falling
>back to the defaults. Fixed now and renamed to allbareconfig.
>
>There are a couple of applets which do not obey the FEATURE naming
>convention:
>
>SORT_BIG
>ASH
>NC_GAPING_SECURITY
>DEVFS
>NFSMOUNT

Oh, and as can bee seen in allbareconfig, vi is broken:
editors.a(vi.o): In function `show_status_line':
vi.c:(.text+0xf8a): undefined reference to `Hit_Return'

>..where nc is obviously an exemption which can be dealt with separately.
>Rob, i thing the SORT_BIG and the NFSMOUNT are your's? If so please
>switch them over to FEATURE.
>
>>Nice idea, though.  At some point I'd like to make an interative thing that
>>switches on each individual symbol after an allnoconfig, and switches off
>>each symbol after an allyesconfig, resulting in a couple hundred
>>configurations to make sure they all build and to compare how much space each
>>feature actually takes up.  But it won't be today. :)
>
>I'll look into building libbb in one go now..

Looks promising. There is most likely still opportunity for the compiler
to optimize, but for a start (without any fancy tricks) it looks ok:

busybox.oorig
$ size -t libbb/libbb.a | tail -n 1
  59475	    680	   4354	  64509	   fbfd	(TOTALS)

busybox.new
$ size -t libbb/libbb.a  | tail -n 1
  30932	    320	   2244	  33496	   82d8	(TOTALS)

I've put the patch here ¹), in case someone is curious. So for the
"build shared library" patch i will switch all internal libraries which
are put into libbusybox.so to be built like this. I'm currently thinking
about keeping all this "build shared library" stuff local only as i think
that this kind of change should wait until we have 1.1.0 out. What do
you think?

¹) http://members.aon.at/berny_f/busybox/busybox.libs.01.diff

cheers,
Bernhard