[VODZ] ps w

Vladimir N. Oleynik dzo at simtreas.ru
Wed Oct 5 09:15:06 UTC 2005

Bernhard,

> The "problem" with ps.c was *not* the multiple "-w" but the dash ('-')
> bb_getopt_ulflags enforces.
>
> With your two patches, this one doesn't work anymore:
> ./busybox ps www
>
> Will you extend bb_getopt_ulflags to make the leading dash for short
> options optional?

How?

> If not then please fix ps to accept it's options
> without the '-' (i.e. revert your two patches).

Unix "ps" utilite have old-compatibile problem. Usage

$ ps -x w; ps w -x

have producing error, but do not produce error if

$ ps x; ps -x; ps -e w; ps w -e

Its strange for me. The phrase:
"Set the I_WANT_A_BROKEN_PS environment variable to force BSD
syntax  even when options are preceeded by a dash."
from manual confused me too. Its partially default?

Do revert patch? May be.
But I think, make mainstream
compatibility the algorithm of parse opts better.
I examine procps-3.0 source. This have
1) the analizator -opts as SysV
2) the analizator opts as BSD
I "realize" first point. ;-)
If drop getopt(), then support --long_option may be
have hard a problem for writing the algorithm decoder.
The mainstream decoder is BLOAT!

--w
vodz