Read-only file system error on non-readonly destination file directory

Mark Richards mark.richards at massmicro.com
Tue Oct 4 20:26:23 UTC 2005

  Busybox 1.0
  Target system: cris-axis-linux-gnu (axis devboard 83)
  Linux kernel: 2.4.26

Attempting to extract file /etc/etc.tar (which is a TAR of /etc/*)

Commands:

  cd /
  tar -x -f etc/etc.tar

The tar command will extract the files but following the operation it
attempts, of course, to delete the archive file.

It then returns the message:

  tar: Couldnt remove old file: Read-only file system

It is a readonly filesystem in parts, but /etc is not readonly.

It appears that tar is looking somewhere else (maybe in the directory in
which it is invoked) to determine the filesystem type, instead of the
directory where the tar file actually is.  (I have not looked at the code,
but this makes some sense as a possibility).

I do the extraction from root since this is the relative destination from
which it was created and I want to avoid the "removing / from member names"
error.

Maybe I shouldn't?  But I think this might be a bug.

/mark richards