Boggling at fdisk.c

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Nov 28 15:24:03 UTC 2005

On Monday 28 November 2005 08:06, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > It's five thousand, eight hundred and eighty four lines!  (To write a
> > BOOT SECTOR!)  It's full of #ifdefs for OSI, SGI, and Sun disk labels
> > with _no_ attempt to be systematic about it.  It's attempting to detect
> > IDE tape drives!  (How do you partition an IDE tape drive?)  It has
> > comments about working around bugs in the 2.1 kernel!
>
> my guess would be that it's probably a pretty straight forward port
> from util-linux then with very little cleanup ... something to get the
> job done but hopefully someone will rewrite it down the line ;)

TODO item for 1.2:

While we're auditing everything for SUSv3 compliance, also audit all the apps
to see which ones are decently busyboxified (not perfect but at least
reasonable), and which ones are steaming mounds of code copied from elsewhere
with the word "busybox" painted on the side of it and attached via duct tape.

Hint: if "#if 0" should never occur more than 3 times in the same C file.