Third consecutive time.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Nov 27 11:18:19 UTC 2005

On Saturday 26 November 2005 16:27, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Saturday 26 November 2005 225, Rob Landley wrote:
> > If people want any bugs fixed, just post them here.  There's a _reason_ I
> > don't fix stuff out of the bug database very often.  The user interface
> > on this sucker is just _unusable_.
>
> I have to agree. I find very inconvenient to use. Maybe I've got a mind
> so twisted I can't understand how it works, but I relly think something's
> wrong with the bug DB.

If I could just bookmark a link with the search I wanted (show me all
_busybox_ bugs (NOT UCLIBC, and all of them not just 50), that aren't
closed.) I'd be happy.  Anything else on top of that is gravy.

Unfortunately, it's controlled by cookies, not by the URL.  You can't bookmark
cookies, and my browser is set to treat all cookies as session cookies and
that ain't changing.

If I could reliably click this, this, and this from bugs.busybox.net to get my
search, I'd live.  But unfortunately, clicking the same set of stuff gives
_different_results_ sometimes.  Which is highly annoying.  (And because it's
cookie based, the back button doesn't necessarily do what you'd expect
because it doesn't undo cookie changes.)

> On another side, I'm used to not using bug tracking DB (none behaved the
> way I wanted them to behave), and mostly rely on mailing lists to solve
> problems.

I've used bug databases before.  Some of which were even helpful.  The ability
to sort and search the list can actually be very nice.  unfortunately, with
this bug database, trying to do anything even slightly out of the ordinary
gives me 0 results.  It has a "last modified: 6 hours" field which seems to
be completely ignored (which is _good_ because there's no obvious way to
disable it.  I usually set it to 999999999).

> I find it more spontaneous, more reactive, and more friendly,
> although (and maybe because) it is not as formal.

The formal/informal bit is just a question of how long it takes me to get
comfortable with the tool.  But the fact it doesn't _work_ reliably has been
a persistent annoyance.

> Regards,
> Yann.
>
> PS. Rob:
> > Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word.
> > I do not think it means what you think it means.
>
> I like this one! :-) Big piece of a movie!

I saw the movie the other night, and couldn't resist.