where to store kernel modules for a live cd

sreekant kodela sreekant_kodela at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 27 11:13:32 UTC 2005

Hi folks

I finally made my set of scripts to automate making
live cd which depends on busybox, isolinux etc. The
trouble with init is also sorted. The making live cd
is structured in following way.

./itree : holds all the files that go to initrd.img
./cdtree : contains kernel, isolinux and any
software/libs that will stay on cd.

On booting the livecd sysinit finds the cd, mounts it
on /cdrom, links the
/cdrom/zz/[lib,lib/modules,bin,sbin,usr,etc] on to /
after which it runs ldconfig. I installed xorg,
abiword,sox and a load of other stuff with /cdrom/zz
as their root. They work.

But the problem is I can't seem to get depmod and
modprobe to accept the modules that are on
/cdrom/zz/lib/modules/ but linked to /lib/modules .
They complain about these being links. I can't seem to
be able to force the depmod or modprobe. However I can
insmod the required module still.

Is there a way round!

Please don't give me a short answer i:e; No ... :-(

Ta
sree