sed command in busybox

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Nov 20 07:45:50 UTC 2005

On Sunday 20 November 2005 00:45, John Kelly wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 00:11:35 -0600, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net>
>
> wrote:
> >In square brackets, [n\] is perfectly valid so [\n] isn't that ambiguous.
>
> Sounds logical to me.  I guess the POSIX people haven't figured that
> out yet.

*shrug*.  It's an old standard, and somewhat minimalist...

> >> i.e. "s/foo/bar/;#baz"
> >
> >If gnu sed takes it, then I can at least try to do so.  However,
> > technically speaking "s/foo/bar/#baz" _does_ imply that # is an option
> > like g in "s///g" so it's the script that's wrong here...
>
> I'm not sure what Glenn was trying to say there, because my script has
> spaces between the closing / and the # comment character.  But despite
> that fact, busybox sed still does not like my comments.

According to the spec you're supposed to have a semicolon before the next
command, because "s/// g" is supposed to work like "s///g".

> Sometimes people do not like my comments, either.  Funny that.

Is # a comment character in sed?  Hmmm...  You're right.  Ok, that's a bug.
Lemme see...

Fixed, svn 12441.

> >Could someone send me a copy of the script?
>
> Fagedd about it!
>
> :-D

I _fix_ sed.  It must work.  This is not negotiable. :)