sed command in busybox

John Kelly jakelly at shtc.net
Sun Nov 20 06:30:07 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 00:05:57 -0600, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net>
wrote:

>> IOW, sed guarantees that a newline cannot appear in the input, and I
>> use that guarantee to advantage in my script.

>The N command grabs the next line and puts a newline between them in the
>pattern space.

Right, but that's under programmer control.  I was talking about user
input.

>Do you have a simple test case to demonstrate the failure in busybox, like the
>above?  If so, I'll fix it.

As I discussed in a later mail, there is more than one problem.

>Are you implying that people still use usenet?  (Wow.)
>
>Let's see what Google has to say:
>  Your search - comp.os.unix retain_quoted - did not match any documents.
>
>That would be a no, then.

comp.unix.shell

>I'm happy to fix it.

Please do not fix it.  This esoteric case would be a misdirection of
your time.

>I'm not happy to spend half an hour tracking down a test
>case you can't even be bothered to provide a URL for.

I was only discussing it because Glenn asked about it.   Like I said,
I don't expect busybox sed to be GNU, and I'm not asking anyone to fix
it.

Take a break and relax.  Glenn seems curious about it, so maybe he
will fix it. ;-)