timeout applet, do you like?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Nov 18 14:44:43 UTC 2005

On Friday 18 November 2005 08:22, Paul Fox wrote:
>  > >>  I have devolped a small C-program that do this job:
>  > >>
>  > >>  USAGE: timeout [-f exit_status_file] [-v] <timeout> "command line"
>  > >
>  > > Sounds cool to me, if it's very small, useful, and cleanly configures
>  > > out.  I think you've missed 1.1, though.  It sounds like 1.2 material.

>  > [roberto at wsraf tmp]$ ls -al timeout
>  > -rwxr-xr-x  1 roberto users 6052 nov 18 14:13 timeout*
>
> i'm sure it's useful, and i see there's a version on one of our redhat
> systems (which supports "-s signal" -- if we add this, it should at
> least match what's out there), but i'd point out you can do this pretty
> easily using the shell.  i only just wrote this, and tested it
> all of three times, so i assume it's perfect.  ;-)

Once I check in bbsh, then maybe.  Right now, the busybox shell situation is
that we have four shells that share virtually no code.  (Ok, they've got a
shared readline substitute, which is probably reusable in a new shell...)
But that's all 1.2 material as well.

Also, keep in mind that the run-time memory usage of shell code can be higher
than the on-disk footprint...