timeout applet, do you like?

Roberto A. Foglietta me at roberto.foglietta.name
Fri Nov 18 11:28:25 UTC 2005

Hi to all,

  I have devolped a small C-program that do this job:

  USAGE: timeout [-f exit_status_file] [-v] <timeout> "command line"

  setup an alarm signal, run "command line" with fork/execve, if alarm
set off will kill the "command line" process and return error otherwise
it return exit status of it.
  flag -v is for verbosity
  flag -f is to save the exit status in a file (good for background
process which will be checked in the future).

  May be some others have been done the same, but I did not find
anything like it. If you think it could be usefull I will write a
patch/code for busybox to have it. Let me know.

  I do not have finished to test "timeout" yet, so patch will not sent
very soon, in the case.

  Cheers,
--
Roberto A. Foglietta