"mount -o remount" non-compliant?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Nov 11 23:21:22 UTC 2005

On Friday 11 November 2005 07:13, Paul Fox wrote:

>  > Boy this is a pain to get right.  But you're correct that we need to
>  > parse /etc/mtab.  Ok...
>
> is remount the only flag this applies to?

No, in theory it also applies to stuff like noatime, noexec...

> i confess i haven't been
> keeping track of the ever-growing number of mount options.  in any case,
> it really does seem like the code would change very little if you just
> substitute the mtab file for /etc/fstab when starting that parse loop.
> almost by definition, on a remount you want to use information
> that's "current", not information that's "default".

Yup.  I think I know what I need to do, the problem is regression testing
it. :)

I think I know how to handle the test cases by the way.  They're shell
scripts, stick in something like

if [ `whoami` != root ]; then echo "Root tests skipped"; exit $FAILCOUNT; fi

And then do the tests requiring root access.  (And in the documentation,
explain how to use UML to run these suckers safely.  Possibly providing a
shell script or some such...)