"mount -o remount" non-compliant?

Paul Fox pgf at brightstareng.com
Fri Nov 11 02:19:42 UTC 2005

 > >     mount -o remount,rw /usb
 >
 > Yeah, that's supposed to work.  (I vaguely remember testing it, even.  What
 > kernel are you using?)

2.4.24

 > >     localhost# mount -o remount,rw /usb
 > >     Can't find /usb in /etc/fstab
 > >     localhost#
 >
 > Before my rewrite. :)

yes, i thought you'd like the history.

 > > but the meat of the problem -- needing an fstab entry for a
 > > remount -- i decided i should leave to you.  it almost seems like
 > > if you're doing a remount, then the top loop that goes through
 > > fstab should simply go through mtab instead -- and if you don't
 > > find your entries, then your remount is bogus.  but i suspect
 > > that might break some other carefully tested semantic of mount.
 >
 > Hmmm...  Possibly, but it's also possible that when you tell the kernel to do
 > a remount you shouldn't _have_ to specify both source and target because it
 > should _know_.  (And of the two, target is the less ambiguous.  They're both

good point.  though the mount(2) man page is pretty explicit
about both source and target being the same as the originals.
(probably for both historical reasons, and for the ambiguities
you cited.)

 > I'm in the middle of three other things, but poke me if I haven't got this
 > fixed by this time tomorrow, ok?

oh, but of course.  i already told the customer it'd work "someday",
and not to hold their breath.  :-)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at brightstareng.com