inetd and syslogd

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Nov 8 07:03:15 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 00:14, yinguomei wrote:
> hi,
> I use the busybox-1.01,and compile the netkit-base-0.17.

I'm not familiar with netkit-base.

> my target system is arm9,and I use the cross compiler arm-linux-gcc 3.3.2.
> when I finish build the netkit-base-0.17,and copy the inted to the
> /usr/sbin directory. I run /usr/sbin/inetd &
> but no process named inetd displayed when I use the command ps.

Is the inetd you're trying to run living in netkit-base, or in busybox?  If
busybox, confirm that the /usr/sbin/inetd symlink does in fact point to the
busybox binary.

Another thing to do is try to run the busybox binary under the name "busybox",
and make sure that you get the expected result (I.E. that it shows you the
help message and the list of supported applets).  If it doesn't, then you
probably have a shared library problem.  (Try using ldd or readelf to see
what libraries it's linked to.)

> I have try to comment the line where syslog are,the inetd process can start
> success,but the telnetd can not work. maybe the telnetd has the same
> problem.

If one busybox applet has a problem that prevents it from running, it's likely
that they all do.

> Am I right?
> Anyone give me some advice?

What _did_ go right in this system?  Did it boot up and give you a command
shell?