Do we want ifenslave?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Nov 5 03:38:52 UTC 2005

There's a feature request for ifenslave (with patch, even, although it's only
lightly busyboxified and would need a lot of clean-up work).  My question is:
do we want this?

First, ifenslave isn't hard to build standalone.  It's a standalone C file in
the kernel sources, and shouldn't be that big.

Secondly, what it does is kind of a niche.  When I thumped on this in 2000, it
only worked with a very small subset of the switches out there, and was only
really interesting at the 100baseT level.  Linking two interfaces together
does indeed give you twice the speed: but gigabit ethernet gives you 10 times
as much without taking up two ports.  (Maybe these days you can link together
two gigabit interfaces, except that 10gigE is out now for people who care.
The only reason we were looking at bonding was because a second interface was
there in the boxes anyway, going unused.  Buying twice as many switches
turned out to make it cost prohibitive anyway.)

If it's started providing failover or something since last I checked, that's
one thing.  But I'm unaware of it if so.  Unplugging a cable used to mean you
lost every second packet, which wasn't much fun...

Then again, somebody does seem to want it.  I'd email the guy who submitted
the bug, but this is the bug system we're talking about.  Having a way to
contact the submitter would be far too useful to include.