networking & syslogd.c

Robin Getz rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org
Fri Nov 4 20:31:06 UTC 2005

I was trying to compile a kernel without networking support (to reduce
space), and noticed that

busybox/sysklogd/syslogd.c:doSyslogd() has:

=========
if ((sock_fd = socket(AF_UNIX, SOCK_DGRAM, 0)) < 0) {
      bb_perror_msg_and_die("Couldn't get file descriptor for socket "
                                                    _PATH_LOG);
}

Without networking compiled into the kernel, syslogd dies. Does that make
sense? I didn't think that you would need a networking driver (dummy or
otherwise) to have local system logging.

Thanks
-Robin