It's not a bug.

Thomas Lundquist lists at zelow.no
Fri Nov 4 09:02:55 UTC 2005

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 01:39:06AM -0500, John Kelly wrote:

> Anyone wanting new features in free software needs to understand that
> DIY is SOP.  Anyone who can't DIY, may pay a programmer who can.  And
> if they don't have that kind of money, then they must try to be happy
> with the features they have.

I totally agree here.

But, there are one occation when this does not really apply and that is
when the people requesting the feature also provide a patch and don't
have access to the code repository. Then they do need help, both in peer
review (as this mailinglist does quite well in many occations) and
commiting the patches to the tree.

Maybe have a "Feature request with patch" - option in the bug tracker where
the ones interested can look at and comment the patches and the ones with
commit access can look at and use.

Or just admit that features requeste with patches are best posted on the
mailing list and don't really need to be in the bug tracker.

I have had relatively good success by mailing my patches to the list
(and  I always end up messsing up the patches the first time I send them
but do get an answer and hint on how to fix them.) and get them into the
tree but I have basically given up on posting is as a "bug".

Thomas.