BusyBox v1.00-pre10: df Command

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Tue Nov 1 19:03:21 UTC 2005

Scott,
All,

On Tuesday 01 November 2005 185, Scott Dudley wrote:
> No - I've not yet tested with another df.  Can you elaborate?  This is
> on an ext3 FS - a partition that's mounted as /opt and not the root FS.
> The df command is executed as user root.  When my support staff reboots
> the PC, du statistics remain the same and df then reports correct
> percent utilization.

That might mean a process opened or created a file, didn't close it, is still
running, and the file was removed afterward.

In such a situation, the blocks are still reported as used, so df doesn't see
them as free, but du does not find them, as no files uses them.

Try killing processes one by one to see which one uses that space. Once you
have a culprit, try to see where it creates files, unlinks them, and if it ever
closes them.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| web: ymorin.free.fr | SETI at home 3808 | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |