[BusyBox] uDHCPc wrong byteorder on bigendian machine ?

V.Kukushkin vlkukushkin at yandex.ru
Tue May 24 12:00:35 UTC 2005

Hi *

I've compiled busybox 1.0 with udhcp 0.9.9-pre
for arm bigendian (ixp425) and tried connect it to dhcpd at PC Linux
redhat, i.e.

ARM-bigendian udhcpc -> PC dhcpd

Requests from udhcp are coming but look very strange:
tcpdump at PC eth0 shows strange packet dumps from arm to PC.
1) mac is recognized correctly
2) protocol id isn't recognized, instead tcpdump prints "sap"
3) other fields are garbled also

Other tools/protocols work fine - ping, ssh, routing, etc

It looks like byte order problem and of course,
DHCP proto doesn't work, server doesn't respond.
What's wrong with it ?

I've googled the problem and found nothing except checksum calculation
stuff that has been fixed in udhcp 0.9.8 or before.

BTW the code of ISC dhcp 3.0.2 contains much pieces working on byteorder.
Why is work around byteorder not present so much in udhcp too ?

If anybody has experience with interoperability of udhcp in
bigendian-littleendian environment, help me with advice, please.

--
regards,
Vladimir