[BusyBox] Login on console (vga+kb) delayed untill timout when serial console enabled

Simon Mikkelsen simon at gramjuhl.dk
Tue May 10 06:54:19 UTC 2005

>> I have the following inittab
>> ::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100
>
>try changing this line to:
>  ttyS0::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100

When I use that version, there is no response on the serial
port. When I switch back to the old one (without closing my
serial terminal - just replace inittab and reboot) the serial
login works again. Then I run the tty command, which returns
/dev/ttyS0, so I wonder why the solution you presented dosn't
work on my system.

>in busybox's inittab the id field is used for the name of the tty
>for the process.  i'm not sure i understand your symptoms, but
>this will probably help.

I'll try to describe my symptoms:
When I have the following line:
::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100
in my inittab and tries to log in via monitor+keyboard, I type my
username and it appears as normal. When I press ENTER a newline,
a tab char and my username is printed on the screen (so the username
appears twice) and then the keyboard does not react. 60 seconds later
a message is printed on the screen that the log in session has timed
out and then I can log in as normal as many times as I want.
In this case I can log in via the serial port, without any problems.

When I remove the line, or use your version, the problem with logging
in via monitor+keyboard does not exist, but I can't log in via the
serial port either.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Yours Sincerely
Simon Mikkelsen, B.Sc.

Gram & Juhl A/S, cvr 19 86 32 71
Hirsevej 16, DK-6100 Haderslev
phone: +45 70 20 21 69 fax: +45 73 53 56 20
http://www.gramjuhl.dk