[BusyBox] not sure if this the list for my question

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Wed May 4 16:52:35 UTC 2005

On Wed May 04, 2005 at 03:44:17PM +0800, Allan Clark wrote:
> Frank wrote:
>
> >I am trying to prune packages from buildroot until I get an
> >accetable size. But when I go into menuconfig to disable a
> >package and rebuild, it builds the package again. How can do i
> >clean without removing everything and rebuilding from scratch.
> >
> You might not get what you want with buildroot.  (disclaimer: poor
> memory) buildroot is built to produce a working buildroot even if it's
> stopped partway through the build process; it's made to simply continue
> where it left off... I think.  Once you have a working buildroot, you
> really never have to use it again.  This means that there is
> little-to-zero focus on the ability to reconfig/rebuild your bildroot
> without completely wiping the directory and starting again.

Exactly.  Of course, one need not wipe out the dl/ directory
which holds all the source code that has been downloaded, often a
significant part of the build process.  Similarly, it is rarely
necessary to wipe out the toolchain (i.e. toolchain_build_$ARCH)
so 'rm -rf build_$ARCH', then reconfigure, then 'make' is
generally sufficient....

 -Erik