[BusyBox] Re: [patch] zcip for busybox (rfc3927)

Tito farmatito at tiscali.it
Tue May 3 12:17:45 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 03 May 2005 03:17, you wrote:
> On Saturday 30 April 2005 4:26 pm, Rob Landley wrote:
> > On Saturday 30 April 2005 03:44 pm, Tito wrote:
<snip>
> Hmm, my objections must not have gotten to the list then; sorry.
> I'd rather you did revert it:

>   - Changing comments is pointless noise.  And there's nothing wrong
>     with how they were originally ... not even style-guide issues.

>   - Removing carefully sited debug/trace code is **BAD** since it
>     means among other things that the "standard" debug support is
>     no longer available.  (Remote debugging is painful enough.)

Hi,
It's sad that this objections come a little late but that's life.........
I agree with you on the  previous two points .
Here probably  I pushed  to much my personal taste
so this could be painlessly removed from the patch.

>   - Likewise, removing the ability to use this outside BusyBox is
>     troublesome, for reasons I've already identified.

In this case I have some objections:
I agree with you that this makes your life easier but  it could get in conflict
with the main goal of this project which is size optimization and
is accomplished by using libbb specific functions and by rewriting some stuff.
If you read through to list you will see that there were patches
applied in the past  just because they do save one byte or two.
Think about what would happen if we apply the same philosophy
to stuff like coreutils...

<snip>
> - Dave

BTW: did you test the patch,  does it work?

I can repost it amended and maybe it could be applied after
you checked it for style and correctness.
Do you read the list  or would it be better to CC you on the posts.

Ciao,
Tito