[BusyBox] Re: [patch] zcip for busybox (rfc3927)

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Tue May 3 01:17:00 UTC 2005

On Saturday 30 April 2005 4:26 pm, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Saturday 30 April 2005 03:44 pm, Tito wrote:
> >
> > BTW: I've ripped out  a lot of debug code and changed c++ // comments to /*
> > */ as both were rather confusing for a newbie like me. ;-)
> > Sorry to the author for that.
> > I know that this makes mantaining the code easier, but I'm simple
> > minded....
>
> A quick read-through showed that a lot of the changes here are really white
> noise (turning comments that start with /** into /* and such), so I'm a bit
> nervous about applying this, but I've applied it anyway on the theory that it
> was posted to the list quite some time ago and if somebody objected I missed
> it.  (And presumably I can revert it if somebody tells me that was a bad
> call.)  And I want to catch up with the patch backlog...

Hmm, my objections must not have gotten to the list then; sorry.
I'd rather you did revert it:

  - Changing comments is pointless noise.  And there's nothing wrong
    with how they were originally ... not even style-guide issues.

  - Removing carefully sited debug/trace code is **BAD** since it
    means among other things that the "standard" debug support is
    no longer available.  (Remote debugging is painful enough.)

  - Likewise, removing the ability to use this outside BusyBox is
    troublesome, for reasons I've already identified.

I certainly appreciate wanting to get caught up on the patch backlog
though ... thanks for your efforts there!

> Speaking of which, I need to edit the Authors file to add a maintainer for
> zcip.  I'm guessing David Brownell would be that guy?

Not for the current version, with essential support for a maintainer
removed!  But if you revert Tito's patch, feel free to do so; at the
level that linux/MAINTAINERS calls "odd patches".  It shouldn't need
too much more than that.

That said, if someone does want to take this over, drop me a line.
I think the next steps on the agenda here should be to teach "ifup"
how use ZCIP in addition to DHCP/BOOTP or static configs, but I won't
be getting around to that for some time yet.

- Dave