[BusyBox] Please Help: Kernel Panic : busybox " init not found try passing parameter init="

Brent Roman brent at mbari.org
Sun Mar 27 18:40:20 UTC 2005

I just ran into the same Kernel Panic this past week.

The message simply means that the /sbin/init binary could not be
executed for some reason.  If you can mount the rootfs on
another binary compatible system, try using the chroot command
to execute /sbin/init there.

In my case, the problem turned out to be that the shared libraries
in /lib had been installed without the +x permission.

In general, just go looking for any reason why /sbin/init
cannot start.  And, remember that /sbin/init is dependent on
other shared objects.

Hope this helps,

- brent